The meeting will take place at Hawks Cay Resort on Duck Key, Florida (mid-way down the Florida Keys). Travel to and from the workshop is not covered except for those awarded 8 competitive travel fellowships or contributing project members of the Oomycete-Soybean CAP. Refreshments (excluding alcohol) will be provided by the USDA-NIFA CAP fund. There is no registration cost but all participants must register here to reserve meeting space, refreshments, and other logistics.
- Key West (EYW) – 56 miles to Duck Key (~ 1 hr 15 min drive)
- Miami (MIA) – 100 miles to Duck Key (~ 2 hr 15 min)
- Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood (FLL) -132 miles to Duck Key (~ 2 hr 30 min)
- Fort Myers (RSW) – take Fast Ferry (seakeywest.com) from Ft. Myers to Key West, then taxi/car rental to Duck Key
Getting from Airport to Hawks Cay Resort on Duck Key, FL
- Keys Shuttle – keysshuttle.com, (305) 289-9997 or (888) 765-9997
- FL Keys Express Shuttle – seakeywestexpress.com, (305) 743-7454
- Rental Car – note that driving from Miami or Fort Lauderdale will most likely involve toll roads and SunPass. Driving from Key West will not. I would recommend asking your rental agency how they handle this – usually either a transponder or Toll by Plate. Those who are already SunPass customers can add a rental car to their account. This is the cheapest option. Please refer to this website for further information: sunpass.com/rentalcar
Hawks Cay Resort – Lodging and Conference Center
A map can be found here:
A block of 2 bedroom, 2 bath villas in Sunset Village have been held. Click here for more details. You will need to contact Hawks Cay Resort to reserve lodging at the negotiated rate of $179 per person per night. The group reservation code is VIRGINIATECH. Lodging can be reserved by:
- phone – 800-432-2242
- online by clicking this link – Virginia Tech Soybean Oomycete Group Event at Hawks Cay Resort
All workshop sessions will occur in the Hawks Cay Conference Center.
There are 4 on-site restaurants. See the map above for the 3 closest to lodging.